Solo trip to Byron May 20th - 26th

This week I had my final presentation on my painting project. The piece was built and painted from scratch. Being about 6' long and 3' tall it took a long time to complete it. But after sketching, priming, more sketching, painting, carving, painting, staining, and painting it was complete, and I dug it! Most my class and teacher really didn't like it as I thought they would hahaha. Guess white dudes can't be painting massive naked ladies cause they think it'd look cool. eh it was pretty bizarre hahaha i'll attach a pic and you can decide for yourself. Anywhooo once that was done I grabbed the surf board and bused my way to Byron Bay. I really wanted a solo adventure and to be a traveler where it'd get the chance to meet other people in hostels who are also traveling and picking brains. So first night in I went and saw some kick ass live music. It was actually two separate chicks touring together. Similar style, solo act while rocking guitar. They both sang beautifully and one of them was actually from my home state of Washington. It started pouring down rain after the show so I took the indoor time to do some reading. I've finished 3 books so far being here and am about done with the fourth. I also worked on some writing I've been neglecting too. Next day I went surfing with some friends from school that rode up. Couldn't catch shit but none the less it is still meditative to be out there in the sea. I also saw Matt Damon as he walked by me and my surf homie ben drinking a beer outside. That was cool. That night again was pretty down low besides some side chats with other travelers. my hostel mates were all very anti social haha which was fine. I had some mental cleansing I needed to do too. I was thoroughly enjoying the cheesy long walks at the beach and my time at little coffee spot I had localized myself at. My final full day there was spent playing volleyball and surfing. Met this French guy who laughs like a maniac, a 21 year old dude named Tripp from Colorado who had no shame, and this 32 year old chick that had the spirit of a teenager. We all went out and saw some really good live music. like that place was packed and the band had everyone going. After we went to one bar that was a dance club where we had to stand in line to get in. I hate clubs and I hate lines, so I was outta there. but first I boosted this random chick who thought I worked there over the fence and she immediately got kicked out! ah it was great. Next day had my last surf sesh with Tripp then said goodbye and good luck to the others. Was stranded in Byron though and a friend of a friend came and picked me up and took me back to Lismore. Really sweet girl and it was great getting to know and talking to her for the short drive we had. The experiences I had those last couple of days, meeting new people, causing a ruckus, and just figuring shit out is what the journey is for, those moments are what rewards us with these always evolving personal transformations. I loved it.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends and adventures thus far! April 17th - 28th

Solo trip to the Great Barrier Reef before heading back to the U.S. June 22 - June 27th